Saturday, May 5, 2012

Heller! (Madea Style)

Welcome back! Looks like it's time to dig in the dirt again!! We literally had NO winter in NE Ohio. I was so happy, even though it was rather weird. Just light dustings here & there as opposed to a couple of feet of snow. Everything started budding & blooming in April! This caused huge problems for lots of plants. One day I took a picture of a beautiful Magnolia & 24 hrs. later, it was dead. Three major frosts before it was safe to leave anything out. Even though temps are hgh, I still don't plant the garden before May 10th. It's what the Amish say, too. And they should know.

I've been eating A TON of spinach. I have to have it in the house. I'll cook dinner, but I usually eat spinach salad instead. Mangoes & Kiwi are ranking pretty high on the addiction list, too. The bean sprouts & alfalfa sprouts are always on the spinach.
 I'm going to grow lettuce in a big pot on the patio. I don't want to put it in the garden. It's so delicate, I want it nearby.

Speaking of the garden, it's time to roto-till. Scream! The tiller we rented last year was a beast. WAY too large for my little space, but the nearby shop doesn't rent small. Yet just a pitchfork was major work. It has to be done.
Lastly, over the winter (or lack of it), I fell in love with fresh cilantro. During a veggie/fruit shopping craze, I added it to chicken soup in the crock pot. Addiction. It's great on the everything if you want a tart, lemony taste. When I use this, there's no need for salt in my book.

I'm not sure what I'm growing this year. Last year, my tomatoes didn't do so well, & neither did my green peppers. They took nearly all summer to finally grow anything & it grew was very small. I will try cabbage again & spinach for a first time. I have to work with the space I have.

Again, thanks for coming back if you're reading this right now. I hope you join me for another season of growing :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment